What to Expect During the Sinus Augmentation Process
Prior to having a sinus lift performed, we will conduct a thorough examination of your teeth, gums, bite, plaque and bone structure and review your medical and oral health history. If it is determined that a sinus lift is necessary, the procedure will typically include the following steps:
- A local anesthetic and/or dental sedation is administered to reduce pain, discomfort, and/or anxiety during the procedure.
- Once properly sedated, a small incision is made in your gums to expose the bone.
- Next, a small opening is cut into the bone to access the membrane covering your sinus, which is then pushed up.
- Once the sinus membrane is lifted, grafting material is placed into this area, which is then sutured shut.
- Dental implants may be placed immediately following this step if only a very small amount of bone is necessary, but in most cases, time will be needed for the graft to fuse before the implant can be placed. Once the implant is placed, the sinus lift and dental implant process will be complete.
How Much Does a Sinus Lift Cost?
At Periodontic Associates of Port Huron, we are committed to making sure you understand what the cost of treatment will be and will do everything we can to help you maximize your dental health benefits and explore third-party financing plans if necessary. One of our business coordinators will be happy to conduct a complimentary benefits analysis for you when you are in the office.
If you do not have insurance and are concerned about the cost of periodontal care, you are not alone. We understand that cost of periodontal treatment is one of the biggest concerns our patients have and are committed to ensuring our patients receive the care they deserve, and that cost of treatment does not prevent this from happening. To learn more about all the financial options we offer, contact our office today.
For your convenience, we accept cash, check, credit cards, and financing.
Aftercare Instructions Following a Sinus Lift
Following a sinus lift, it is essential that you closely follow aftercare instructions provided by your periodontist. One of the most important aftercare instructions is to avoid sneezing and/or blowing your nose, as doing so can cause excessive pressure, which will disrupt the healing process. In addition to following these instructions, additional steps you can take to minimize post-procedural issues include:
- Discomfort or pain can be managed with over-the-counter or prescription pain relieving medication. Follow recommended dosages, and if prescribed painkillers, take as directed until the prescription runs out.
- Use gauze to control bleeding, replacing every few hours until the bleeding stops. If bleeding persists,
- Rest as much as possible and avoid strenuous physical activity for at least 48 hours, possibly longer depending on the severity of your case.
If the underlying reason for the sinus lift was due to periodontal disease, it is important to improve your level of self-care moving forward to reduce your risk of needing similar procedures in the future. Schedule regular periodontal maintenance every six months or with greater frequency depending upon the severity of your case. These visits allow us to perform a thorough examination of your oral health, and if any issue is detected, begin treating that issue as soon as possible. Additionally, we can provide a professional cleaning to eliminate plaque and calculus using specialized instruments that normal brushing methods cannot remove.
While these regular appointments are a critical component to enjoying good oral health, the type of self-care you follow at home is even more important. In addition to brushing and flossing twice daily, eat healthy, avoid use of tobacco, and take efforts to avoid being sedentary and reducing high levels of stress, as both are linked as underlying causes of systemic issues, including periodontal disease. By making a commitment to following a consistent oral health routine and living a healthy lifestyle, you will significantly reduce your risk of developing periodontal disease and enjoy improved overall oral and physical health.
Personalized Care and High Quality Services
At Periodontic Associates of Port Huron, you can be confident that you will have an unparalleled dental experience. Our team of experienced and dedicated professionals are committed to providing the highest level of periodontal support and taking time to get to know our patients. We believe that developing this level of trust and open communication is an essential component to understanding your unique needs and providing you with optimal care.
If you have additional questions about the sinus lift procedure or would like to schedule an appointment, new patients can contact us at (810) 412-1044 and current patients can contact us at (810) 987-1400