What to Expect During the Pinhole Surgical Technique Process
Prior to performing the Pinhole Surgical Technique procedure, we will conduct a thorough examination of your teeth, gums, bite, plaque and bone structure and review your medical and oral health history. It may also be necessary to take an X-Ray or other diagnostic exam to identify underlying issues and determine whether Pinhole Surgical Technique is necessary. If it is determined that Pinhole Surgical Technique is the best treatment option for you, the procedure will typically include the following steps:
- A local anesthetic and/or dental sedation is administered to reduce pain, discomfort, and/or anxiety during the procedure.
- Next, small holes or pins are made in your gums, through which specialized dental tools are used to press the underlying gum tissue to the desired position.
- Once the gums are in the optimal position, collagen strips are placed over them to keep the gum tissue in place and facilitate the healing process.
How Much Does Pinhole Surgical Technique Cost?
At Periodontic Associates of Port Huron, we are committed to making sure you understand what the cost of treatment will be and will do everything we can to help you maximize your dental health benefits and explore third-party financing plans if necessary. One of our business coordinators will be happy to conduct a complimentary benefits analysis for you when you are in the office.
If you do not have insurance and are concerned about the cost of periodontal care, you are not alone. We understand that cost of periodontal treatment is one of the biggest concerns our patients have and are committed to ensuring our patients receive the care they deserve, and that cost of treatment does not prevent this from happening. To learn more about all the financial options we offer, contact our office today.
For your convenience, we accept cash, check, credit cards, and financing.
Aftercare Instructions Following Pinhole Surgical Technique
Following your Pinhole Surgical Technique procedure, it is essential that you closely follow aftercare instructions provided by your periodontist. In addition to following these instructions, additional steps you can take to minimize post-procedural issues include:
- Do not brush over the surgical area.
- Replace flossing with a water pik during the initial recovery period.
- Discomfort or pain can be managed with over-the-counter or prescription pain relieving medication. Follow recommended dosages, and if prescribed painkillers, take as directed until the prescription runs out.
- Swelling can be controlled by placing ice packs over the affected area for ten to fifteen minutes at a time. It is important to not leave the ice pack on for too long, as doing so reduces blood flow, which can slow the healing process.
- Avoid using a straw, rinsing, or spitting for 24 hours.
- Rest as much as possible and avoid strenuous physical activity for at least 48 hours, possibly longer depending on the severity of your case.
If the underlying reason for Pinhole Surgical Technique was due to periodontal disease, it is important to improve your level of self-care moving forward to reduce your risk of needing similar procedures in the future. Schedule regular periodontal maintenance every six months or with greater frequency depending upon the severity of your case. These visits allow us to perform a thorough examination of your oral health, and if any issue is detected, begin treating that issue as soon as possible. Additionally, we can provide a professional cleaning to eliminate plaque and calculus using specialized instruments that normal brushing methods cannot remove.
While these regular appointments are a critical component to enjoying good oral health, the type of self-care you follow at home is even more important. In addition to brushing and flossing twice daily, eat healthy, avoid use of tobacco, and take efforts to avoid being sedentary and reducing high levels of stress, as both are linked as underlying causes of systemic issues, including periodontal disease. By making a commitment to following a consistent oral health routine and living a healthy lifestyle, you will significantly reduce your risk of developing periodontal disease and enjoy improved overall oral and physical health.
Personalized Care and High Quality Services
At Periodontic Associates of Port Huron, you can be confident that you will have an unparalleled dental experience. Our team of experienced and dedicated professionals are committed to providing the highest level of periodontal support and taking time to get to know our patients. We believe that developing this level of trust and open communication is an essential component to understanding your unique needs and providing you with optimal care.
If you have additional questions about Pinhole Surgical Technique or would like to schedule an appointment, new patients can contact us at (810) 412-1044 and current patients can contact us at (810) 987-1400.